- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 t snipped fresh basil, oregano, or dill; or 1/2 t dried basil, oregano, or dill, crushed
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/8 t garlic powder
- 1/8 t black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey or two 5-ounce cans chunk-style chicken or turkey
- 1 recipe Cornmeal Dumplings-follows below
- In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, frozen vegetables, onions, water, dried herb (if using), salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Bring to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine milk and flour; stir into vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in fresh herb, if using.
- Drop dumpling mixture from a tablespoon to make 4 to 8 mounds on top of the bubbling stew.
- Simmer, covered (do not lift cover), over low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
Makes 4 servings (about 6 cups)
- In a medium bowl stir together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 t baking powder, and dash black pepper.
- In a small bowl combine 1 beaten egg, 2 T milk, and 2 T cooking oil;
- Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until combined.
Start to finish: 40 minutes