Here is a great sandwich that I still make at times. Doesn’t this sound good? Easy to make too.
This boterham sandwich used to be served at the end of an evening party in the Netherlands. The appearance of the Uitsmijter usually meant that the fun is over and it is time for all to go home. This dish was quite a favorite for us kids at home. We did not wait for an evening party to have this great hearty, but simple, sandwich.
This dish is now available in restaurants where you can ask for either a “hele uitsmijter” (whole sandwich using 2 pieces of bread) or “halve uitsmijter” using 1 piece of bread. Having a healthy appetite I always went for the “hele uitsmijter” and as a teenager would make this snack at home.
I will give you the recipe for a “halve uitsmijter” as all you need to do for a whole one is to add another buttered slice of bread.
- 1 slice of bread of your choice
- Butter or margarine for the bread
- Thinly sliced roast beef, veal, ham, or cheese.
- 1 egg prepared to your choice
- salt and pepper
- Butter the bread
- Place thin slices of meat on top. (While at home we always draped the meat over the sides of the bread)
- Prepare the egg to your liking and place on top of the meat
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cover with a slice of cheese if you desire