Here is a great recipe for the fall since it is at the end of hunting season. This hunter’s dish was made with venison in the past. However, venison is not readily available in the Netherlands so stew meat is usually used today.
This is usually served with cooked red cabbage.
- 1 pound of stew meat or venison cut into small stew sized pieces.
- 3 onions, sliced very thin
- 2 large tart apples, Granny Smith variety works great. Peeled and sliced.
- 12 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon Maggie or Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Bread crumbs
- sauté the onions in butter until transparent
- add the meat and brown
- add seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and 1 cup of water
- simmer in covered pot until meat is tender, at least an hour
- boil the potatoes in an other pan and mash, salt to taste
- in a buttered ovenware dish place half of the mashed potatoes
- add the stew meat and cover with apple slices
- add the rest of the mashed potatoes making sure that all the meat etc is covered
- sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with butter
- bake at least for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven