- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell
- 1 pound sweet potatoes or yams, cooked and peeled
- 1/4 C margarine or butter
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t allspice
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Praline topping (instructions below)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large mixer bowl, beat hot sweet potatoes with margarine.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, spices and salt.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in eggs.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set.
- Top with warm praline.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Tip: 1 (16 to 18 ounce) can sweet potatoes or yams, drained, can be substituted for fresh. Melt margarine. Proceed as above.
- In small saucepan, combine 1/2 C whipping cream, 1/3 C firmly packed brown sugar, and 1/2 t vanilla extract.
- Cook and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Boil rapidly 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 C chopped toasted pecans. (Makes about 2/3 cup)
photo by: SaucyGlo