Recipe provided by Eltje Doddema.
- 375 gram (US-13.2 oz) self raising flour
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 4 deciliter (1.7 cups) cold milk
- 1/2 T salt
- 100 gram (3.5 oz) currants
- 100 gram raisins (3.5 oz) (no stones)
- Put the flour in a bowl, break the eggs and add them to the flour.
- Also add the salt and some of the milk, and stir.
- Make sure you get a nice smooth dough without lumps.
- Then add the rest of the milk, the washed currants and raisins, and stir it.
- Put the dough in a mold for raisin cake, (butter the mold first) and put it in the oven.
- Bake it for about 1 hour on 175C or 350F.
- You can eat it when warm or cold with butter and brown sugar.
- Instead of the currants you can use 100 gram (3.5 oz) bacon and 100 gram (3.5 oz) smoked sausage.
Portions: 6 to 8
As a trade-off for the Courgette recipe, I promised Geesjen a zucchini bread recipe. Here it is:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups zucchini
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup nuts
- Blend zucchini and water
- Blend in eggs, oil and sugar
- Set aside
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nuts together
- Stir into wet mixture
- Pour into 2 lined loaf pans
- Bake at 325F for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
Recipe provided by my mom, Rita Doddema.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 6 ¼ cup self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Shortening
- Beat eggs until thick and lemon color
- Add and beat in sugar
- Add nutmeg
- Add melted shortening
- Add flour alternately with milk using only enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thick
- Cut with doughnut cutter
- Fry in deep fat 375 degrees until brown turning once
*This recipe makes about 3 dozen donuts
Bernie first made this and it’s one of the rare cheesecakes I’ll eat. Probably cuz there’s chocolate involved!
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. light cream or half and half
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. unsweetened (baking) cocoa
- 1 Oreo pie crust
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen raspberries, thawed, pureed and strained
- In a small bowl, blend cream cheese, sugar, cream and vanilla until smooth
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time
- Remove 1 cup batter and combine with cocoa. Spoon half of chocolate batter over pie crust
- Evenly pour white batter over chocolate batter
- Top with spoonfuls of remaining chocolate batter
- Cut through batter with knife to create marbled effect
- Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes or until set
- Cool completely on wire rack
- Chill at least 4 hours
- Serve with raspberry sauce
A sister in our church gave me this recipe.
- 3 C flour
- 2 pkg yeast
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T salt
- Beat 20 seconds slow in mixer
- 3 minutes fast
- add 2 C flour +/-
- 4-5 minutes with the hook attachment
- Place dough in greased bowl at 170 degree oven 30 minutes covered
- Form dough balls and place into buttered 9X13″ pan
- place in oven 170 degrees to rise 30 minutes take OUT and preheat oven to 350
- place pan back into oven for 15-18 minutes
- 3 C white flour
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1/4 C wheat germ
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 3/4 C water
- 1/4 C oil
- 1/4 C molassess
- Follow as above; beat 30 sec slow then 3 min. high. Then add:
- 3 C wheat flour
- 1-2 C white flour
- Continue to follow above instructions for rising and baking
gathering ground for our families