Recipe provided by my mom, Rita Doddema. This recipe comes from a dear friend of the family.
- 9 inch pie crust
- 4 cups berries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Cream
- Mix together and put into pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 min until crust is nicely browned and filling is set.
What a beautiful day! Although it’s dreary, rainy and chilly outside it’s election day! It’s just not any election day, it’s mid-terms which give an indicator of how voting citizens are feeling about the new direction this country is taking.
Most of you know that I’m a conservative. I believe in small government, low taxes and American exceptionalism. I also believe in a candidate’s integrity; his/her character. What’s important to you?
It’s not only our patriotic duty to vote but to be an informed voter. Don’t just vote for the R (Republican) or D (Democrat). Vote your conscience. Learn the issues and no longer be a silent partner in our government.
Side note: After voting today, I’m going to contact a few relatives and find out if our ancestors voted, what issues were important to them, etc..
Got this recipe from Taste of Home magazine. Love it! If you can’t find Hershey’s carmels you can substitute for Brach’s carmels instead.
- 2 C. sugar
- 3/4 C. baking cocoa
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 1/2 C. flour
- 1 T. salt
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 C. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 C. chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 package (14 oz) Hershey’s carmels
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder
- Add to egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of walnuts.
- Spoon two thirds of the batter into a greased 12-9-2 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 12 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted.
- Pour over baked brownie layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over caramel layer
- Carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs
Yield 2 dozen